Bilpin Overtaking Lane
Roads and Maritime Services
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
The Bilpin Overtaking Lane road upgrade included construction of a 700 metre overtaking lane on the Bells Line of Road to improve travel times and safety on this critical piece of infrastructure.
The Bells Line of Road is only one of two ways across the Blue Mountains. Roads and Maritime Services identified a lack of overtaking opportunities, including a 25 kilometre stretch between Kurrajong Heights and Mount Tomah, where there are no overtaking lanes in either direction on the busy route of the Bells Line of Road into Sydney.
DM Roads (on behalf of Roads and Maritime), engaged Diona to deliver the works in this brownfield location on the back of the road widening works delivered on Victoria Road, Pennant Hills Road and Balgowlah.
The project posed many risks, challenges, constraints and hurdles, in which Diona team embraced, and worked cooperatively and professionally to deliver a successful project to the client, and more importantly, the community.
Diona was presented with a tight time-frame to have the road opened by Christmas 2017. Diona accelerated the initial program and managed to complete the works ahead of time, even with a number of additional scope items included throughout the duration of the project.
The scope of work involved a number of roadworks activities, to be constructed to the strict Roads and Maritime specifications including:
- Utility asset relocations
- Construction of a 700 metre overtaking lane
- Traffic staging and construction of temporary roadway
- Reconstruction and widening of approximately one kilometre of Bells Line of Road, comprising of bulk earthworks, stormwater drainage, subsurface drainage and asphalt pavement
- Construction of a 200 metre long, 2.7 metre high retaining wall
- Ancillary works such as safety barriers, guide posts, pavement marking, signposting and vegetation of disturber areas
- Patch repairs to the existing road surface.
From pre-construction stage, the community was a big challenge with many locals against the idea of the overtaking lane. Both the Diona delivery team and the site team worked professionally to cooperate with the local community and build a positive rapport and image to key community members.
Diona’s HSEQ representative was available no matter what time of the day, and provided much appreciated assistance to the project to ensure the team achieved the desired outcome of no MTIs or LTIs.
Diona successfully delivered this high-quality roadwork project with minimal impact or disruption to the community.